All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe original hardback gained universal praise; A fascinating account said the TLS; echoed by national and local press; A fascinating book full of off-beat information, wrote Derek Cooper. This book looks beyond the brilliant colours of the sweet-shop shelf and consider the ingenuity of sugar boiling and the manufacture of those intriguing avatars of childhood happiness: the humbug, the gobstopper, the peardrop and the stick of rock. As well as a history, it is also a recipe book, with twenty tried and tested methods for sweets ancient and modern. Who has t wondered how they got the marbling into humbugs and the fantastic patterns into Just William s gobstoppers? The byways of kwledge that are illuminated make this so rewarding. Did you kw how they got the letters into rock? How they twisted barley sugar? The difference between fudge and tablet? The connection between humbugs and an Arab sweet from 13th-century Spain (where it was borrowed it from the Persians)?
- Author BiographyLaura Mason is also the author ofTraditional Foods of Britain(Prospect) and many other studies in food history, published in journals such asGastronomicaandPetits Propos Culinaires.
- Author(s)Laura Mason
- PublisherProspect Books
- Date of Publication01/08/2003
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Place of PublicationBlackawton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProspect Books
- Content Note50 b&w illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width155 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $13.00Trending at AU $15.62
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.91
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $27.17
- AU $37.35Trending at AU $39.83
- AU $24.75Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $16.71Trending at AU $17.24
- AU $29.19Trending at AU $39.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.