All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.61Trending at AU $31.89
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.92
- AU $29.93Trending at AU $31.44
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $12.75Trending at AU $13.19
- AU $19.76Trending at AU $20.49
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.67
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Bernhard Schlink, the internationally best-selling author of The Reader, come seven provocative and masterfully calibrated stories. A keen dissection of the ways in which we play with truth and less-than-truth in our lives. Summer Lies brims with the delusions, the passions, the outbursts, and the sometimes irrational justifications people make within a melange of beautifully rendered relationships. In After the Season, a man falls quickly in love with a woman he meets on the beach but wrestles with his incongruous feelings of betrayal after he learns she's rich. In Johann Sebastian Bach on Ruegen, a son tries to put his resentment toward his emotionally distant father behind him by proposing a trip to a Back festival but soon realizes, during his efforts to reconnect, that it wasn't his father who was the distant one. A philandering playwright is accused to infidelity by his wife in The Night in Baden-Baden, but he sees her accusations as thing more than a means to exculpate himself of his guilt as he carries on with his ways. And in Stranger in the Night, an obliging professor becomes an accomplice--t entirely unwittingly--to the temporary escape of a charismatic fugitive on a delayed flight from New York to Frankfurt. The truth, as once character puts it, is passionate, beautiful sometimes, and sometimes hideous, it can make you happy and it can torture you, and it always sets you free. Tantalizingly, so is the act of telling a lie--to others and to ourselves.
- Author BiographyBernhard Schlink is the author of the internationally best-selling novel The Reader. He is a former judge and teaches public law and legal philosophy at Humboldt University in Berlin and at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York City.
- Author(s)Bernhard Schlink
- PublisherVintage Books
- Date of Publication21/05/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight249 g
- Width134 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Translated byCarol Brown Janeway
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.