All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionPresented in Eliot Weinberger's excellent new translation with the Spanish texts en face, this is the 1957 poem that definitively established Paz as a major international figure (Sagetrieb). Written as a single cyclical sentence (at the end of the poem the first six lines are written again), Sunstone is a tour de force of momentum. It takes as its structural basis the circular Aztec calendar, which measured the sydic period of the planet Venus (584 days-the number of lines of Sunstone). But, as The New Republic ted, this esoteric correlative design...does t circumscribe its subject. [It is] a lyrically discursive exploration of time and memory, of erotic love, or art and writing.
- Author BiographyOctavio Paz (1914-1998) was born in Mexico City. He wrote many volumes of poetry, as well as a prolific body of remarkable works of nonfiction on subjects as varied as poetics, literary and art criticism, politics, culture, and Mexican history. He was awarded the Jerusalem Prize in 1977, the Cervantes Prize in 1981, and the Neustadt Prize in 1982. He received the German Peace Prize for his political work, and finally, the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1990. Eliot Weinberger is an essayist and translator, the editor of The New Directions Anthology of Classical Chinese Poetry, and the series editor of Calligrams: Writings from and on China (New York Review Books and Chinese University of Hong Kong Press). He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Octavio Paz
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication28/02/1992
- LanguageEnglish & Spanish
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Content NoteBlack-and-white illustrations
- Weight90 g
- Width155 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Translated byEliot Weinberger
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.