Superbetter: A Revolutionary Approach to Getting Stronger, Happier, Braver and More Resilient--Powered by the Science of Games by Jane McGonigal (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.92Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.41Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b><b>An invative guide to living gamefully, based on the program that has already helped nearly half a million people achieve remarkable personal growth</b>In 2009, internationally rewned game designer Jane McGonigal suffered a severe concussion. Unable to think clearly or work or even get out of bed, she became anxious and depressed, even suicidal. But rather than let herself sink further, she decided to get better by doing what she does best: she turned her recovery process into a resilience-building game. What started as a simple motivational exercise quickly became a set of rules for post-traumatic growth that she shared on her blog. These rules led to a digital game and a major research study with the National Institutes of Health. Today nearly half a million people have played SuperBetter to get stronger, happier, and healthier. But the life-changing ideas behind SuperBetter<i></i>are much bigger than just one game. In this book, McGonigal reveals a decade s worth of scientific research into the ways all games including videogames, sports, and puzzles change how we respond to stress, challenge, and pain. She explains how we can cultivate new powers of recovery and resilience in everyday life simply by adopting a more gameful mind-set. Being gameful means bringing the same psychological strengths we naturally display when we play games such as optimism, creativity, courage, and determination to real-world goals.Drawing on hundreds of studies, McGonigal shows that getting superbetter is as simple as tapping into the three core psychological strengths that games help you build: </p><b>Your ability to control your attention, </b> and therefore your thoughts and feelings <b>Your power to turn anyone into a potential ally, </b> and to strengthen your existing relationships <b>Your natural capacity to motivate yourself and super-charge your heroic qualities, </b> like willpower, compassion, and determination <i>SuperBetter</i> contains nearly 100 playful challenges anyone can undertake in order to build these gameful strengths. It includes stories and data from people who have used the SuperBetter method to get stronger in the face of illness, injury, and other major setbacks, as well as to achieve goals like losing weight, running a marathon, and finding a new job. As inspiring as it is down to earth, and grounded in rigorous research, <i>SuperBetter</i> is a proven game plan for a better life. You ll never say that something is just a game again.</p>
- Author Biography<b>Jane McGonigal, PhD, </b> is a senior researcher at the Institute for the Future and the author of<i>The New York Times</i>bestseller<i>Reality Is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World</i>. Her work has been featured in<i>The Economist</i>, <i>Wired</i>, and<i>The New York Times</i>and on MTV, CNN, and NPR. She has been called one of the top ten innovators to watch (<i>BusinessWeek</i>), one of the one hundred most creative people in business (<i>Fast Company</i>), and one of the fifty most important people in the gaming industry (<i>Game Developers Magazine</i>). Her TED talks on games have been viewed more than ten million times.
- Author(s)Jane McGonigal
- PublisherPenguin Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2015
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Press
- Weight862 g
- Width155 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.47Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.