All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionThis book brings together over 160 of the finest surrealist artworks by legendary artists including Salvador Dali, Max Ernst, Rene Magritte, Joan Miro and Man Ray. The works hail from the four rewned and extraordinary private collections of Edward James, Roland Penrose, Gabrielle Keiller and Ulla and Heiner Pietzsch, and together offer a superb overview of surrealist art. Ten essays explore the different origins, historical contexts and creative urges behind these collections. Artworks, perhaps more than anything else that one can acquire, are objects of desire and surrealist artworks even more so. The sheer quality of the works acquired (and, in the case of the Pietzsches, still being acquired) is astonishing and, while passionate about their private visions, all the collectors have been mindful of contributing something to the public good. The collections complement each other to an extraordinary degree and allow us to follow some of the artists' careers from beginning to end. By uniting them, exciting new juxtapositions emerge along with a fuller and richer picture of the surrealist movement as a whole.
- Author BiographyDawn Ades has curated numerous international exhibitions on Surrealism and Dada. She is a Fellow of the British Academy, a former trustee of Tate and was awarded a CBE in 2013 for her services to art history. Elizabeth Cowling is Honorary Fellow in History of Art at the University of Edinburgh. She was the principal author of Surrealism and After: The Gabrielle Keiller Collection (1997). Among her other publications are Picasso: Style and Meaning (2002) and Visiting Picasso: the Notebooks and Letters of Roland Penrose (2006). Prof Dr Hubertus Gassner is Director of the Hamburger Kunsthalle. Annabelle Gorgen-Lammers is Exhibition Curator at the Hamburger Kunsthalle. Keith Hartley is Chief Curator and Deputy Director at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh. Saskia van Kampen-Prein is Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam.
- Author(s)Annabelle Gorgen-Lammers,Antony Penrose,Dawn Ades,Desiree de Chair,Elizabeth Cowling,Hubertus Gassner,Keith Hartley,Richard Calvocoressi,Saskia Van-Kampen-Prein
- PublisherNational Galleries of Scotland
- Date of Publication01/08/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Galleries of Scotland
- Content Note200 colour
- Weight1497 g
- Width245 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.