All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSURVEYING SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA, Jay Sherwood's fourth and final book about prominent BC surveyor Frank Swannell, covers the years from 1901 to 1907, before Swannell began surveying for the BC government. Gore & McGregor, one of the leading surveying companies in the province, hired Swannell to work on projects throughout southern British Columbia from the Rocky Mountains to the west coast of Vancouver Island, and from the international boundary as far rth as Quesnel in the Cariboo and Bella Coola on the BC coast. Swannell's work had a significant impact on events that shaped our province's history including the search for oil, the Pacific cable survey, the early timber licence surveys for the pulp and paper mill at Ocean Falls and the controversial CPR land grants through southern BC. Yet Swannell was more than a surveyor - he was an accomplished and talented photographer, documenting the development of our province through his compass, his measurements and his lens.SURVEYING SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA contains 150 stunning photographs that portray human settlement and untamed wilderness in what were the most remote areas of our young province. Sherwood also includes Swannell's courtship letters to Ada Driver, which provide delightful details about the life of a surveyor in the field. Sherwood's meticulous research portrays the life and career of a young Swannell as he perfects his skills and profits from his mistakes, while helping to shape BC as we kwit today. SURVEYING SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA makes a significant contribution to the history of our province and is a well-crafted conclusion to this important series.
- Author BiographyA historian and former surveyor, Jay Sherwood is the author of Surveying Northern British Columbia, a 2005 BC Book Prize finalist. From 1979 to 1986, he lived and taught school in Vanderhoof, where he first learned about Frank Swannell. He now lives in Vancouver, where he works as a teacher-librarian.
- Author(s)Jay Sherwood
- PublisherCaitlin Press
- Date of Publication08/09/2014
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationSaint George
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintCaitlin Press
- Content Note150.0000000000
- Weight746 g
- Width267 mm
- Height265 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.