All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1943, Primo Levi, a twenty-five-year-old chemist and Italian citizen of Jewish race, was arrested by Italian fascists and deported from his native Turin to Auschwitz. Survival in Auschwitz is Levi's classic account of his ten months in the German death camp, a harrowing story of systematic cruelty and miraculous endurance. Remarkable for its simplicity, restraint, compassion, and even wit, Survival in Auschwitz remains a lasting testament to the indestructibility of the human spirit. Included in this new edition is an illuminating conversation between Philip Roth and Primo Levi never before published in book form.
- Author Biography<b>Primo Levi</b> was born in Turin, Italy, in 1919, and trained as a chemist. He was arrested as a member of the anti-Fascist resistance, and then deported to Auschwitz in 1944. Levi's experience in the death camp and his subsequent travels through Eastern Europe are the subject of his two classic memoirs, <i>Survival in Auschwitz</i> and <i>The Reawakening</i> (also available from Collier books), as well as <i>Moments of Reprieve.</i> In addition, he is the author of <i>The Periodic Table, If Not Now, When?, </i> which won the distinguished Viareggio and Campiello prizes when published in Italy in 1982, and most recently, <i>The Monkeys Wrench.</i> The first thing that needs to be said about Primo Levi, as John Gross remarked in <i>The New York Times, </i> is that he might well have become a writer, and a very good writer, under any conditions; he is gifted and highly perceptive, a man with a lively curiosity, humor, and a sense of style. Dr. Levi retired from his position as manager of a Turin chemical factory in 1977 to devote himself full-time to writing. He died in 1987.
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication19/02/2000
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPocket Books
- Weight182 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementCollier Books Trade ed
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.