All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA provocative and thoroughly researched inquiry into what we find beautiful and why, skewering the myth that the pursuit of beauty is a learned behavior. InSurvival of the Prettiest, Nancy Etcoff, a faculty member at Harvard Medical School and a practicing psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, argues that beauty is neither a cultural construction, an invention of the fashion industry, r a backlash against feminism it s in our biology. Beauty, she explains, is an essential and ineradicable part of human nature that is revered and ferociously pursued in nearly every civilization and for good reason. Those features to which we are most attracted are often signals of fertility and fecundity. When seen in the context of a Darwinian struggle for survival, our sometimes extreme attempts to attain beauty both to become beautiful ourselves and to acquire an attractive partner suddenly become much more understandable. Moreover, if we understand how the desire for beauty is innate, then we can begin to work in our own interests, and t just the interests of our genetic tendencies.
- Author BiographyNancy Etcoff has an M.Ed. from Harvard, a Ph.D. in psychology from Boston University, and has held a post-doctoral fellowship in brain and cognitive sciences at MIT. She is currently a faculty member at Harvard Medical School and a practicing psychologist at Massachusetts General Hospital. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Nancy Etcoff
- PublisherBantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBantam Doubleday Dell
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width130 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.