Consider these sponsored items
- AU $61.99Free postage
- AU $41.50Free postage
All listings for this product
About this product
- Descriptionsomething really to behold, a substantial project of some real depth and authority. By flicking through the pages you can sense the amount of research, patience and hard work that has been invested. The portraits, as always with Borden are simple, effective and very telling. - Martin Parr 'A masterpiece and deeply moving' - Alain de Botton 'A wonderful piece of work' - Lynn Barber Over the course of five years, acclaimed photographer Harry Borden has travelled the globe photographing survivors of the Holocaust. The people featured vary in age, gender and nationality, but are all tied together by their experience and survival of one of the darkest moments in human history. Each photograph is accompanied by a handwritten te from the sitter, ranging from poems, to memories, to hopes for the future, creating a strong sense of intimacy between sitter and reader. This intimacy is amplified by the home settings of many of the photographs, along with the photographer's use of available light at each scene. At the end of the book is a section providing more information about the person in each portrait, and about how and what they survived, together with the historical context of the events they lived through. Thought-provoking and touching, this book conveys the dignity and humanity of each subject's character. Survivor is a unique and powerful testimony of what it is to live with memories of the Holocaust.
- Author BiographyHarry Borden is one of the most celebrated portrait photographers working today. His pictures have featured on the covers of the world's leading magazines, including The New Yorker, Time, Vogue, American GQ, Das Magazin, Le Nouvel Observateur and Stern. Harry has won prizes at the World Press Photo awards (1997 and 1999) and was a judge in the contest in 2010 and 2011. In June 2005 he was awarded a solo exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, London; the gallery now has more than 100 examples of Harry's work in its permanent collection. His personal project on Holocaust survivors was shortlisted for the European Publishers Award in 2014. In the same year, Harry was awarded an Honorary Fellowship by the Royal Photographic Society.
- Author(s)Harry Borden
- PublisherOctopus Publishing Group
- Date of Publication26/01/2017
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCassell Illustrated
- Content Note110 photographs
- Weight1445 g
- Width215 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine32 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.