All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn colleges and universities across the United States, students, faculty, and staff are forging new paths to sustainability. From private liberal arts colleges to major research institutions to community colleges, sustainability concerns are being integrated into curricula, policies, and programs. New divisions, degree programs, and courses of study cross traditional disciplinary boundaries; Sustainability Councils become part of campus governance; and new sustainability issues link to historic social and educational missions. In this book, leaders from twenty-four colleges and universities offer their stories of institutional and personal transformation. These stories document both the power of leadership -- whether by college presidents, faculty, staff, or student activists -- and the potential for institutions to redefine themselves. Chapters recount, among other things, how inclusive campus governance helped mobilize students at the University of South Carolina; how a course at the Meminee Nation's tribal college linked sustainability and traditional kwledge; how the president of Furman University convinced a conservative campus community to make sustainability a strategic priority; how students at San Diego State University built sustainability into future governance while financing a LEED platinum-certified student center; and how sustainability transformed pedagogy in a lecture class at Penn State. As this book makes clear, there are many paths to sustainability in higher education. These stories offer a snapshot of what has been accomplished and a roadmap to what is possible. Colleges and Universities covered include Arizona State University * Central College, Iowa * College of the Meminee Nation, Wisconsin * Curriculum for the Bio-region Project, Pacific Northwest * Drury University, Missouri * Emory University, Georgia * Florida A&M University * Furman University, South Carolina * Green Mountain College, Vermont * Kap'olani Community College, Holulu, Hawaii * Pennsylvania State University *San Diego State University * Santa Clara University, California * Slippery Rock State University, Pennsylvania * Spelman College, Georgia * Unity College, Maine * University of Hawaii--Maa * University of Michigan * University of South Carolina * University of South Florida * University of Wisconsin--Oshkosh * Warren Wilson College, North Carolina * Yale University
- Author BiographyGeoffrey W. Chase is Dean of Undergraduate Studies at San Diego State University. He is the editor of four textbooks and the coeditor (with Peggy Barlett) of Sustainability on Campus: Stories and Strategies for Change (MIT Press).
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication13/09/2013
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleUrban and Industrial Environments
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note3 charts, 1 graph
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byGeoffrey W. Chase,Peggy F. Barlett
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.