All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSustainable Development in Practice: Case Studies for Engineers and Scientists, Second Edition explores the concept of sustainable development and its implications for science and engineering. It looks at how sustainability criteria can be combined with traditional scientific and engineering considerations to design and operate industrial systems in a more sustainable manner. Taking a life cycle approach to addressing ecomic, environmental and social issues, the book presents a series of new practical case studies drawn from a range of sectors, including mining, energy, food, buildings, transport, waste, and health. Written in an accessible style, the book opens with a general introduction to the concept of sustainable development and explores its practical implications for technical experts. Recognising that practical application of sustainable development depends on the context, the second part of the book is devoted to case studies. The case studies explore scientific and technical aspects alongside relevant environmental ecomic and social issues. The key features of this completely revised and updated second edition include: * Twelve new chapters, including the case studies on nuclear energy, biofuels, aviation, buildings, urban transport, food, sanitation and health. * Six completely revised chapters * Coverage of a wide range of sustainability issues in both developed and developing countries * Integration of scientific and technical aspects with ecomic, environmental and social considerations * Discussion of policy implications * Communication with the n-engaging and n-scientific audience Considered essential reading for all engineers and scientists concerned with sustainable development, Sustainable Development in Practice: Case Studies for Engineers and Scientists, Second Edition also provides key reading and learning materials for undergraduate and postgraduate science and engineering students.
- Author BiographyAdisa Azapagic holds a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Environmental Chemical Engineering and a Ph.D. in Environmental Systems Analysis. She is Professor of Sustainable Chemical Engineering in the School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science and and Associated Professor of the Sustainable Consumption Institute. She is leading the Sustainable Industrial Systems group which comprises over 20 post-doctoral researchers and Ph.D. students. Adisa has held a number of fellowships and honorary appointments, some of which include fellowships from the Royal Academy of Engineering, UNESCO and Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS). She was awarded the IChemE Award for Outstanding Achievements in Chemical and Process Engineering in 2010 and the GSK/CIA Innovation Award in 2011. For more information visit: http://www.sustainable-systems.org.uk Slobodan Perdan is a Research Fellow in the School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science. Slobodan holds a BA and an MA in Philosophy from the University of Sarajevo (Bosnia), an MA (Distinction) in Politics and Security from University College London and a PhD in Environmental Strategy from the University of Surrey. Slobodan joined the Sustainable Industrial Systems Group in CEAS as Simon Industrial and Professional Fellow in January 2008. Slobodan previously worked on the PuRE project where his role was to look into the social aspects of human activities in the urban environment. He is currently working in association with the CCaLC project and is focusing on the carbon economy , in particular the socio-economic consequences of the introduction of the carbon 'market' and the ethical issues associated with the treating of carbon emissions as a tradable commodity.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication21/01/2011
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationHoboken
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures, charts, graphs
- Weight990 g
- Width173 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byAdisa Azapagic,Slobodan Perdan
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.32Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $21.96Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.