All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionCreated especially for the Australian customer! Reduce your environmental footprint in the garden with this practical guide With all the talk about the health of the planet, you've probably heard about sustainability. Now you can apply these principles in your own backyard, whether that's an Aussie apartment balcony or a sprawling Kiwi rural spread. Find out great techniques for planning your sustainable garden and keeping your plants - and you - happy and healthy. * Plant nutrients - what are they and how can you supply them to your plants sustainably? * Watering techniques - how much water does your garden really need, and how can you conserve and supply it? * Landscaping and gardening materials - where do they come from and are they sustainable? * Biodiversity - how do you help increase the biodiversity of the planet through your own gardening practices? * Organic gardening, permaculture and biodynamics - what methods can you adopt to improve your sustainable garden? * Weeds and pests - how are they defined, and how do you control them while being kind to the environment? * Compost heaps and worm farms - how do you build and maintain them, and what do they do for your garden? * Potting mix - how can you choose a sustainable product or even make your own?
- Author BiographyDonna Ellis lives and breathes anything horticultural! Her passion is obvious as she willingly shares her knowledge and experience with whoever will listen - and this group grows larger as more people have the opportunity to hear her words of wisdom. She challenges, provokes and empowers her listeners to make changes in their gardening practices so those changes will eventually become the ordinary, everyday procedures everyone employs. The stories she inevitably tells make people connect to the subject, whether it is about botanical gardens or backyard vegetable patches. You name it, she has a story about it, and these stories keep her audiences enthralled to the very end. Ask any of her students, community members or colleagues and they'll vouch for this. Donna's work experiences at the start of her horticulture career, when chemicals and disregard for the natural environment prevailed, led her to believe there had to be more-sustainable alternatives. A fi rm believer in common sense and practical solutions to everyday garden problems, Donna has been a leading light of the sustainability movement since the early 1980s. She is a horticulture teacher at South West Institute of TAFE in Warrnambool, Victoria, a sustainable garden consultant, a garden designer, a writer for newspapers and a speaker to community and professional groups. She works with Sustainable Gardening Australia, delivering seminars on sustainable management of parks and gardens in metropolitan Melbourne, and with Greening Australia, developing and delivering community workshops on backyard biodiversity throughout western Victoria. In addition to her usual teaching, Donna also develops and delivers sustainable horticulture training programs at TAFE to Special Developmental Schools, a labour of love. She is a member of a number of organisations and networks, including Sustainable Gardening Australia, the Australian Garden History Society and the Friends of Warrnambool Botanic Gardens. She is a past president of the Friends of Hamilton Botanic Gardens and was a founding committee member of Encouraging Women in Horticulture Australia.
- Author(s)Donna Ellis
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Australia Ltd
- Date of Publication08/01/2010
- Place of PublicationMilton, QLD
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Australia Ltd
- Weight992 g
- Width190 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edition StatementAustralian & New Zealand ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.