All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionSustainable Media explores the many ways that media and environment are intertwined: from the exploitation of natural resources during media production to the installation and disposal of media in the landscape; from people's engagement with environmental issues in film, television, and digital media to the mediating properties of ecologies themselves. Edited by Nicole Starosielski and Janet Walker, the assembled chapters expose how the social and representational practices of media culture are necessarily caught up with techlogies, infrastructures, and environments. Through astute critical analyses of cell phone towers, ecologically-themed video games, Geiger counters for registering radiation, and sound waves traveling through the ocean, contributors question the sustainability of the media we build, exchange, and inhabit and chart emerging alternatives for media ecologies.
- Author BiographyNicole Starosielski is Assistant Professor in the Department of Media, Culture, and Communication at New York University. She is author of The Undersea Network, an exploration of the histories, environments, and cultures of transoceanic cable systems, and co-editor, with Lisa Parks, of Signal Traffic: Critical Studies of Media Infrastructure. Janet Walker is Professor of Film and Media Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where she is also affiliated with the Environmental Media Initiative of the Carsey-Wolf Center. A specialist in documentary film, trauma and memory, and media and environment, her books include Trauma Cinema: Documenting Incest and the Holocaust and, with Bhaskar Sarkar, Documentary Testimonies: Global Archives of Suffering.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/03/2016
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note25 black & white illustrations
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJanet Walker,Nicole Starosielski
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.