Originally called Camas Swale, Sutherlin was incorporated on June 24, 1911, and renamed for Fendel Sutherlin at the behest of his daughter, Anne Sutherlin Waite. What started as an agricultural community of orchard homesites later transitioned into a timber boomtown during World War II. Although the Sutherlin valley had its share of visionaries, most of its people were basic, hardworking folks who persevered despite the roadblocks in their way. They survived floods, fires, destruction of the timber industry by the spotted owl conflict, wholesale unemployment, and the 1989 shutdown of the city for lack of funds. Today s residents are also hardy people, even the newer senior citizens who, in great numbers, are making the town their retirement home.