All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt all begins with a letter. Fall in love with Penguin Drop Caps, a new series of twenty-six collectible and hardcover editions, each with a type cover showcasing a gorgeously illustrated letter of the alphabet. In a design collaboration between Jessica Hische and Penguin Art Director Paul Buckley, the series features unique cover art by Hische, a superstar in the world of type design and illustration, whose work has appeared everywhere from Tiffany & Co. to Wes Anderson's recent film <i>Moonrise Kingdom</i> to Penguin's own bestsellers <i>Committed</i> and <i>Rules of Civility</i>. With exclusive designs that have never before appeared on Hische's hugely popular <i>Daily Drop Cap</i> blog, the Penguin Drop Caps series debuted with an 'A' for Jane Austen's <i>Pride and Prejudice</i>, a 'B' for Charlotte Bronte's <i>Jane Eyre</i>, and a 'C' for Willa Cather's <i>My Antonia</i>. It continues with more perennial classics, perfect to give as elegant gifts or to showcase on your own shelves. <b>P is for Proust.</b><i>Swann's Way</i> is one of the preeminent vels of childhood: a sensitive boy's impressions of his family and neighbors, all brought dazzlingly back to life years later by a taste of a madeleine. It also enfolds the short vel Swann in Love, an incomparable study of sexual jealousy that becomes a crucial part of the vast, unfolding structure in I<i>n Search of Lost Time</i>. The first volume of the work that established Proust as one of the finest voices of the modern age--satirical, skeptical, confiding, and endlessly varied in his response to the human condition--<i>Swann's Way</i> also stands on its own as a perfect rendering of a life in art, of the past recreated through memory.
- Author Biography<b>Marcel Proust </b>(1871-1922) spent his twenties as a conspicuous society figure, but after 1907 he rarely emerged from a cork-lined room in his apartment where he devoted himself to the composition of <i>In Search of Lost Time</i>. <b>Lydia Davis</b> has been a MacArthur Fellow, National Book Award finalist, and Chevalier of the Order of Arts and Letters. Davis was awarded the 2003 French-American Foundation Translation Prize for her translation of Marcel Proust's <i>Swann's Way.</i> She lives near Albany, New York. <b>Jessica Hische</b> is a letterer, an illustrator, a typographer, and a web designer. She currently serves on the Type Directors Club board of directors, has been named a <i>Forbes Magazine</i> 30 under 30 in art and design as well as an ADC Young Gun and one of <i>Print Magazine</i>'s New Visual Artists. She has designed for Wes Anderson, <i>McSweeney's</i>, Tiffany & Co, Penguin Books, and many other clients. She resides primarily in San Francisco, occasionally in Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Marcel Proust
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication26/12/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Drop Caps
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight522 g
- Width140 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Illustrator(s)Jessica Hische
- Translated byLydia Davis
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.35
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.48
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.83
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.08
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.00
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.