CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Other Books
Save on Other Books
- AU $11.82Trending at AU $17.86
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $28.56
- AU $14.87Trending at AU $19.64
- AU $14.98Trending at AU $19.78
- AU $29.07Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $17.92Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $23.93Trending at AU $26.07
About this product
- SynopsisFor your average 1960s or 70s schoolboy, the weekwas largely given over to amassinga football card collection, and later, the sticker annual. The cards were swapped with schoolmates, fought over, and more were purchasedyet somehow you still ended up with only the Birmingham City first team. In this history of the football card and sticker annual, Rob Jovanovic traces the history of the playing card right back to the golden age of the cigarette card, charting its development through the decades up to the modern-day sticker album. In doing so, the book provides a nostalgic, photographic history of the game.",When not playing Subbuteo or rearranging the Shoot League Ladders on a Saturday tea-time to take in that afternoon's results, the rest of the week for your average 1960s or 70s schoolboy was largely given over to amassing the football card collection, and, later, its successor the sticker annual. The cards were eagerly purchased at the newsagent's, complete with luminous stick of pink gum; they were 'skimmed' against a brick wall in some complicated game in the playground, swapped with school mates, fought over, more were purchased . . . yet somehow you still ended up with only the Birmingham City first team. They were the Pokemon cards of the Wilson governments; and today they are as collectable as their modern-day Japanese equivalent. In this (first ever) history of the football card and sticker annual Rob Jovanovic traces the history of the playing card right back to the golden age of the cigarette card (in turn a development from nineteenth-century French business cards), charting its development through the decades upto the modern-day sticker album. In doing so, the book provides a nostalgic, photographic history of the game
- AuthorRob Jovanovic
- Number Of Pages160 pages
- Publication Date2005-10-01
- PublisherOrion Publishing Group, Limited
- Publication Year2005
- Copyright Date2005
- Weight10.3 Oz
- Height0.6 In.
- Width4.9 In.
- Length6.7 In.
- LC Classification NumberGV943.9.C64
- Dewey Decimal769.49796334
- Dewey Edition22
- Reviews'A fantastic addition to any card collector's library - an ideal Christmas stocking filler!','A fascinating history by an expert on the subject. Buy it, love it, then give it to dad for Christmas.','A tremendously nostalgic history of football cards and albums','Satisfy your inner anorak','Superb little gem','The entire history of this collecting craze is wonderfully captured in a smashing little book SWAP YER!','This colourful book provokes bundles of wonderful memories... splendid'
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.