All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGo inside the trend that spawned a multi-billion dollar industry for the top five percent Sweat Equity goes inside the multibillion dollar trend toward endurance sports and fitness to discover who's driving it, who's paying for it, and who's profiting. Bloomberg's Jason Kelly, author of The New Tycoons, profiles the participants, entrepreneurs, and investors at the center of this movement, exploring this phemen in which a surge of people led by the most affluent are becoming increasingly obsessed with looking and feeling better. Through in-depth looks inside companies and events from New York Road Runners to Tough Mudder and Ironman, Kelly profiles the companies and people aiming to meet the demands of these consumers, and the traits and strategies that made them so successful. In a modern world filled with anxiety, pressure, and competition, people are spending more time and money than ever before to soothe their minds and tone their bodies, sometimes pushing themselves to the most extreme limits. Even as obesity rates hit an all-time high, the most financially successful among us are collectively spending billions each year on apparel, gear, and entry fees. Sweat Equity charts the rise of the movement, through the eyes of competitors and the companies that serve them. Through conversations with businesspeople, many driven by their own fitness obsessions, and first-hand accounts of the sports themselves, Kelly delves into how the movement is taking shape. * Understand the social science, physics, and ecomics of our desire to pursue activities like endurance sports and yoga * Get to kw the endurance business's target demographics * Learn how distance running once a fringe hobby became a multibillion dollar enterprise fueled by private equity * Understand how different generations pursue fitness and how fast-growing companies sell to them The opportunity to run, swim, and crawl in the mud is resonating with more and more of us, as sports once considered extreme become mainstream. As Baby Boomers seek to stay fit and Millennials search for meaning in a hyperconnected world, the demand for the race bib is outstripping supply, even as the cost to participate escalates. Sweat Equity, through the stories of men and women inside the most influential races and companies, goes to the heart of the movement where mind, body, and big money collide.
- Author BiographyJason Kelly is the New York Bureau Chief for Bloomberg and the author of The New Tycoons: Inside the Trillion Dollar Private Equity Industry That Owns Everything, the product of five years leading Bloomberg's global private equity coverage. During a tenure at Bloomberg spanning more than a dozen years, he's written about everything from the global semiconductor industry to economic development during the war in Afghanistan, as well as managed the company's global conference business. He's a contributor to Bloomberg TV and Markets magazine, as well as a frequent speaker and host of conferences around the world. An accomplished distance runner, Jason has completed more than a dozen marathons, including races in New York, Boston, and Chicago. A graduate of Georgetown University, he lives in Sleepy Hollow, New York, with his wife Jennifer and sons.
- Author(s)Jason Kelly
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication17/06/2016
- SubjectFinance & Accounting
- Series TitleBloomberg
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Weight448 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.