All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the first book to systematically explore the linkages between war and emergency response, Hoffman and Weiss focus on the profound impact of new wars with n-state actors. The authors trace the evolution of the international humanitarian system from its inception in the 1860s through the current challenges cast by recent U.S. military action in Afghanistan and Iraq. By bringing historical perspective to bear on the mechanics of war and humanitarian action, Sword & Salve provides an essential analytical framework for grasping the nature of crises and how aid agencies can respond strategically rather than reactively to change. Students will find it a powerful tool for understanding the roles of state and n-state actors in international relations, as well as the papoly of means and ends encompassed by contemporary humanitarianisms.
- Author BiographyPeter J. Hoffman is a research associate at the Ralph Bunche Institute for International Studies, The Graduate Center, The City University of New York. Thomas G. Weiss is Presidential Professor of Political Science and director of the Ralph Bunche Institute for International Studies, The Graduate Center, The City University of New York.
- Author(s)Peter J. Hoffman,Thomas G. Weiss
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication09/03/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleNew Millennium Books in International Studies
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight490 g
- Width170 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine21 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.