All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.80Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $71.16Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
About this product
- DescriptionThe stability of the former Soviet states is threatened by their precarious geopolitical position within a turbulent ecomic and political environment. Swords and Sustenance explores the complex ecomic dimension of national security for two key post-Soviet countries, Belarus and Ukraine -- that is, how they have dealt with the challenges posed by internal ecomic and political reform and their relationships with Russia and the West. The book first examines how differing commitments to ecomic and political reform (reform is largely absent in Belarus) affect Belarusian and Ukrainian approaches to security. It then considers the central role of Russia, and how Russian interests and policies toward Belarus and Ukraine limit the two countries' foreign and domestic policy choices. Two chapters discuss the national security implications for Belarus and Ukraine of two key ecomic factors in their foreign policy: energy trade (in the form of oil, gas, and pipelines) and military-industrial cooperation (including the sale of arms). Finally, the book considers the relationships of Belarus and Ukraine with regional and global institutions and explores the policies of the EU, NATO, and the United States toward Belarus and Ukraine.
- Author BiographyRobert Legvold is Professor of Political Science at Columbia University. Swords and Sustenance: The Economics of Security in Belarus and Ukraine
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/03/2004
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleAmerican Academy Studies in Global Security S.
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byCeleste A. Wallander,Robert H. Legvold
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.