All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA new edition of the study of Syriac Christianity up to the early fifth century CE, its beliefs and worship, its life and art. In this classic work, Robert Murray offers the fullest and most vivid picture yet available of the development and character of the culture, illustrating both its original close relationship to Judaism and its remoter background in Mesopotamian civilization. He is interested in the subsequent influence of Syriac Christian culture, particularly on European literature. The largely revised introduction (w assisted by a sketch map) locates Syriac as an Aramaic dialect, then traces the origins of Syriac Christianity, its relationship to Jewish Christianity and the Syriac Bible version, the character of Syriac asceticism (including Marcionism and Manichaeism), and of the Christian schools. Key Syriac terms are explained, and all citation of Syriac texts throughout the work are given in translation either by other scholars or by the author. The second part of the introduction reviews the literature studied in the following chapters, concentrating on Aphrahat and Ephrem. In both parts, a number of positions adopted in the first edition are revised in the light of recent studies, the bibliographical details of which are given in the greatly increased number of foottes. This book deals with a topic of interdisciplinary importance, at the cultural crossroads of the ancient and medieval worlds of east and west, and of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. It will be of interest to a wide range of scholars and students.
- Author BiographyRobert Murray, a Jesuit priest and former lecturer in Heythrop College (University of London), is also the author of 'The Cosmic Covenant: Biblical Themes of Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation.'
- Author(s)Robert Murray
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/02/2006
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight576 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementRevised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.81Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.