All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMost Westerners love and enjoy the decorations on Chinese ceramics for their sheer beauty. But for the Chinese, there is more than beauty, there is meaning. This meaning is hidden in a symbolic language of auspicious signs. By 'reading' the meaning of the design, a process of interaction takes place between the viewer and the object, a most important element of appreciation of art in traditional China. This book presents about 80 masterpieces of Chinese porcelain (12th-18th centuries) from the Keramiekmuseum Princessehof, the National Ceramic Museum of the Netherlands and the Ottema-Kingma Foundation. It will be the first time that a collection of Chinese ceramics is interpreted by explaining the 'hidden' auspicious meaning of their decorations. This is destined to become a reference work for years to come, introducing the most important and interesting pieces from the Princessehof collection and at the same time serving as a 'handbook' for Chinese symbolism and icography.
- Author BiographyDr Eva Strober is curator for Oriental ceramics at the Keramiekmuseum Princessehof, Leeuwarden, and takes care of all collections of Oriental ceramics in the Netherlands, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag and Groninger Museum. Her academic background is in Chinese history, philosophy and Oriental art history. She has been teaching at universities in Germany and Asia and has been working in several museums, from 1999 to 2008 as curator of the historical porcelain collections in Dresden, Germany.
- Author(s)Eva Strober
- Date of Publication31/10/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationStuttgart
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note157 colour
- Weight1560 g
- Width245 mm
- Height2930 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.