Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionLike us, the ancient Greeks and Romans came to kw and understand the world through their senses. Yet sensory experience has rarely been considered in the study of antiquity and, when the senses are examined, sight is regularly privileged. 'Synaesthesia and the Ancient Senses' presents a radical reappraisal of antiquity's textures, flavours, and aromas, sounds and sights. It offers both a fresh look at society in the ancient world and an opportunity to deepen the reading of classical literature. The book will appeal to readers in classical society and literature, philosophy and cultural history. All Greek and Latin is translated and technical matters are explained for the n-specialist. The introduction sets the ancient senses within the history of aesthetics and the subsequent essays explores the senses throughout the classical period and on to the modern reception of classical literature.
- Author BiographyShane Butler is Professor of Latin at the University of Bristol. Alex Purves is Associate Professor of Classics at UCLA.
- Author(s)Alex Purves,Shane Butler
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/08/2013
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Senses in Antiquity
- Place of PublicationDurham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAcumen Publishing Ltd
- Content Note9
- Weight430 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.