All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first comprehensive selection of his writings to be published in English. It contains all the most important of the composer's essays and interviews, throws light on the trying conditions under which he was obliged to work in the 1920s and '30s, especially in education, and gives perceptive assessments of the work of some of the major composers of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries -- Wagner, Strauss, Stravinsky, Ravel, Satie and others -- and the trends they embodied. A number of pieces of a more biographical nature are included, t least Szymawski's touching obituary for his life-long friend, the violinist Pawel Kochanski, and Michal Koromanski's intriguing, but ne-too-flattering, report of a meeting with Szymawski towards the end of his career. The translations are preceded by an extensive introductory essay placing Szymawski's literary activities in the context of his life and career. This book will be a vital element in the rediscovery of the music of one of the twentieth century's most appealing composers.
- Author BiographyAlistair Wightman
- Author(s)Alistair Wightman,Karol Szymanowski
- PublisherToccata Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1999
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintToccata Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, ports.
- Weight666 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.