CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book chronicles the Society of Western Artists from its inception in 1896 to its last sponsored exhibit in 1914. Comprised of the top artists from Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, and Cincinnati, the annual traveling exhibition enhanced the stature of the work of Western artists through exposure to a wider public and by garnering reviews in the nation's art periodicals. A founding and active member of the society, Hoosier Group artist T. C. Steele executed some of his best landscape works during the years the society was active. Rachel Berenson Perry examines Steele's thoughts on plein air painting, his role as a catalyst for the development of regional Midwest impressionism and the Brown County Art Colony, his painting techniques, and his unwavering devotion to nature. The volume features 60 color reproductions of artworks by the society's major artists, complete annual catalog listings, and original exhibition reviews.
- Author BiographyRachel Berenson Perry is Fine Arts Curator for the Indiana State Museum. In addition to being a prolific author of articles in magazines such as American Art Review and Traces of Midwest and Indiana History, she wrote the introduction to The Artists of Brown County (IUP, 1994) and is author of The Life and Work of Ada Walter Shulz. She lives in Nashville, Indiana.
- Author(s)Rachel Berenson Perry
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication23/06/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Out-of-print date03/05/2017
- Content Note19 b&w photos, 61 color photos
- Weight2060 g
- Width7443 mm
- Height7443 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.