All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.64Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.66Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.29Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.66Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the tale of two cities divided by football and united by tragedy. The story begins in emnity when United's Busby Babes face Santiago Bernebeu's Galacticos in the 1957 European Cup semi-final. United were a team made up of hand-reared British and Irish youngsters who had conquered British football with relative ease. They faced Madrid's reigning European Champions led by 'The Blond Arrow' Alfredo di Stefa. Inevitably United lost that tie over two legs but the pair seemed certain to be rivals for years before the Munich Air Disaster ripped apart Manchester's pride and joy. In the years that followed Real Madrid's president moved heaven and earth to help his club's former foes and a series of friendly matches were played to help United's languishing coffers as Real completed their w legendary 5 European Cup victories in a row from the inception of the tournament. Following the Mancunian side's recovery and rehabilitation, the clubs met once more and this time it was for real. United's aging side battled through to the 1968 European Cup semi-final to face the Madriles once more. Madrid, by w six times winners, looked certain to go through when they raced into a 3-2 aggregate lead in Spain before David Sadler and Munich survivor Bill Foulkes scored late goals to send United through to a date with destiny against Benfica in the Wembley final. This riveting footballing story featuring most of the greatest players of the fifties and sixties but most importantly two great rivals and friends: Madrid President Santiago Bernebeu and United manager Matt Busby.
- Author(s)John Ludden
- PublisherEmpire Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication14/12/2011
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEmpire Publications Ltd
- Content Note50+ photos
- Weight280 g
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.