All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $56.24Trending at AU $57.63
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.28
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.20
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.44
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.80
About this product
- DescriptionAssembled here are seventy-eight stories from six of the ballad-singingest, tale-tellingest residents of the eastern Kentucky mountain country. Based on stories rooted in European traditions from German fairy tales to Irish hero stories to Greek myths, the tales had been handed down through generations of telling before Marie Campbell collected them in the late 1920s and early 1930s. Readers will recognize the story of Sw White in A Stepchild That Was Treated Mighty Bad, while Three Shirts and a Golden Finger Ring recalls the fairy tale of the Seven Swans. The Fellow That Married A Dozen Times is a lively rendition of Bluebeard. As the narrators cautioned Marie Campbell again and again, Tale-telling is nigh about faded out in the mountain country, but Tales from the Cloud Walking Country offers a lasting record of history, cultural heritage, language, and good old-fashioned fun.
- Author BiographyMarie Campbell was a teacher and folklorist who, between 1926 and 1934, lived, worked, and traveled the eastern Kentucky mountains. She is also the author of Folks Do Get Born.
- Author(s)Marie Campbell
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2000
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note7 b&w illustrations
- Weight336 g
- Width139 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Illustrator(s)Clare Leighton
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.