All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor more than twenty years, John Van Maanen's Tales of the Field has been a definitive reference and guide for students, scholars, and practitioners of ethgraphy and beyond. Originally published in 1988, it was the one of the first works to detail and critically analyze the various styles and narrative conventions associated with written representations of culture. This is a book about the deskwork of fieldwork and the various ways culture is put forth in print. The core of the work is an extended discussion and illustration of three forms or genres of cultural representation - realist tales, confessional tales, and impressionist tales. The vel issues raised in Tales concern authorial voice, style, truth, objectivity, and point-of-view. Over the years, the work has both reflected and shaped changes in the field of ethgraphy. In this second edition, Van Maanen's substantial new epilogue charts and illuminates changes in the field since the book's first publication. Refreshingly humorous and accessible, Tales of the Field remains an invaluable introduction to vices learning the trade of fieldwork and a cornerstone of reference for veteran ethgraphers.
- Author BiographyJohn Van Maanen is the Erwin H. Schell Professor of Organization Studies in the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Author(s)John Van Maanen
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication05/07/2011
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight295 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.