All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTalk About Tribal Art presents the broad range of art from diverse cultures around the world via illustrations and concise texts. Berenice Schneiter takes us through the history, geography, and techniques of tribal art, from prehistoric cave paintings to aboriginal body art via the Klein-blue-before-Klein statues of the Solomon Islands and the abstract feather art-work of pre-Colombian pre-abstract communities. What is tribal art, what does it look like, when did it start? The author refutes common preconceptions and outdated myths, demonstrating that tribal art comprises far more than masks, erotic figures, and sacred totems. The text is richly illustrated, providing a deeper understanding of art forms such as animal art, portraits, design, and graphics. Moving beyond the purely historical, the book also demonstrates the invation, lasting impact, and current trends of this art form in a section devoted to artists and artistic movements that have been inspired by tribal art. A chapter of key dates allows the reader to situate the historic moments that have contributed to our understanding of tribal art: from travel writing to great expeditions via ethlogical quests and important exhibitions. One chapter is devoted to the artists, writers, poets, dealers, and collectors who informed our modern perception of tribal art. A glossary of terms clarifies the jargon that charts the evolution in the discovery of these artifacts, as well as changes in styles and tastes. The volume is completed by a list of the thirty most important works of tribal art from around the world and a directory of international addresses where tribal art can be viewed.
- Author BiographyBerenice Schneiter, archaeologist, art historian, journalist, and art critic, wrote Tribal Art (Vendome Press, 2000).
- Author(s)Berenice Geoffroy-Schneiter
- PublisherEditions Flammarion
- Date of Publication08/04/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleTalk About
- Place of PublicationParis
- Country of PublicationFrance
- Out-of-print date14/11/2015
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight770 g
- Width188 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byElisabeth Couturier
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.06Trending at AU $47.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.