Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionSo-called Talking Trees are culturally-modified trees which were used by the First Nations of the United States and Canada, to indicate pathways, water sources, and safe or sacred places; like exit signs on woodland highways. These hardwood trees were culturally-modified as saplings to grow into unique shapes as landscape markers by Woodland Native American cultures. The author has found more than 20 of these living artifacts in his native New York State. Using dendrochrology and cartography methods coupled with historical data, the author has found that several of these trees are truly old eugh to be ancient living artifacts. Interspersed with his anthro-biological research are engaging stories from the author's outdoor adventures; and spirit teachings taught by the trees to their adopted guardian, He-finds-trees.
- Author BiographyCarl Andrew Koehler, (also known as He-finds-trees) is an arborist and historian, naturalist and author from upstate New York, who follows the Good Red Path of the Haudenosaunee. He travels throughout the east and mid-west with his hiking companion Elkhound-mix Gyfa exploring and studying natural, scenic, and historic areas. In a former, romantic era, he would have been known as a traveling naturalist. However, that leisurely gentleman's occupation no longer pays the bills in today's economy, so Carl obtained a conservation biology degree from SUNY Cortland. He has worked in forestry science for several prestigious research universities, for the National Science Foundation and the National Institute for Climate Change Research, and most recently as an arborist in private environmental consulting industry. Carl once told his dendrology classmates that in twenty years, they would read about him saving trees. It has not been twenty years, but, Talking Trees & Spirit Trails begins to fulfill that prediction he made to his class.
- Author(s)Carl Andrew Koehler
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication24/08/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.