All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $26.06Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.01
About this product
- DescriptionTranslated from her own words, this story of a Navajo woman who lived for more than 102 years is a vivid account of traditional lifeways in a harsh and challenging environment. Tall Woman was raised in a family of foragers and herders. Forbidden to go to school, she learned traditional skills and kwledge from her elders, growing up to be a well-kwn weaver and an expert on the uses of traditional plants as food and medicine. She was also in demand as a midwife. Despite her reputation and that of her husband, Frank Mitchell, a well-kwn political leader, judge, and Blessingway singer, Tall Woman lived the unassuming life of a traditional Navajo woman, focusing on the hogan, her twelve children, the sheep and goats, and the farm. Edited and antated by a distinguished anthropologist who has worked with the Mitchell family since 1963, this book was written to fulfil Tall Woman's desire to share her story t just with her descendants but with others. In addition to her own life history, Tall Woman tells ancestral stories and offers wise advice to future generations. Both Navajo and n-Navajo readers will be fascinated by the courage and ingenuity evoked in her account of the People's survival during a period of immeasurable change.
- Author BiographyCharlotte J. Frisbie is professor emerita of anthropology at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville.
- Author(s)Charlotte Johnson Frisbie,Rose Mitchell
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2001
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Noteb&w photos
- Weight1050 g
- Width175 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Volume editorCharlotte J. Frisbie
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.