All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.19
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $19.03Trending at AU $22.17
About this product
- DescriptionIt is t a simple or unitary disorder. It may appear as the high of mania, the nagging low of dysthymia, as seasonal blues or suicidal thoughts; it may be disguised as or occur along with other physical or mental disorders. Taming the Tyrant guides clinicians in diagsing, understanding, and treating the full spectrum of depressive disorders. An indispensable reference in today's time-restricted managed care environment, it is designed to reduce trial-and-error by enabling clinicians to identify each depressive disorder sooner and to respond with the treatments most likely to prove effective for that disorder. Dr. Schuyler teams 25 years of clinical experience in psychiatry with an intelligent analysis of the newest developments in research to explain the biological, affective, cognitive, and behavioral mechanisms of depression. He describes depression's many and varied presentations, then details t only the hows but also the whys of the expanding pharmacological treatment options, as well as treatment through convulsive therapy or cognitive therapy. A full chapter is devoted to managing the suicidal patient-an all-too-common yet increasingly problematic issue in light of the decreased access to inpatient treatment. Special attention is also given to treating depression in the elderly, a need that is growing as quickly as the population of older Americans. Dr. Schuyler discusses prescribing medication safely, caring for the bereaved, and recognizing depression's often unique presentation in this age group. Besides giving a thorough presentation of the familiar depressive disorders such as dysthymia, the unipolar and bipolar depressions, and resistant depression, Taming the Tyrant explains other, less familiar depressive illnesses: chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, olfactory reference syndrome, and body dysmorphic disorder. This is the comprehensive modern reference for treating depressed adults.
- Author BiographyDean Schuyler, M.D.M., is a nationally recognized expert in Cognitive Therapy who has treated patients for over thirty years. He is Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. A Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, Schuyler is also a Founding Fellow in the Academy of Cognitive Therapy.
- Author(s)Dean Schuyler
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication31/12/1997
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight570 g
- Width165 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.