All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionHaving masterfully translated a wide range of ancient Chinese poets and philosophers, David Hinton is uniquely qualified to offer the definitive contemporary English version of the Tao Te Ching, rendering it with both philosophical rigor and poetic elegance.. Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching is t only the single most important text in Chinese spirituality, it is probably the most influential spiritual text in human history. Like all of his translations, Hinton's translation of the Tao Te Ching is mind-opening. It adds startling new dimensions to this text, revealing it as the originary text of deep environmental and feminist thought. In the past, virtually all translations of this text have been produced either by silogists having little poetic facility in English, or writers having ability to read the original Chinese. Hinton's fluency in ancient Chinese and his acclaimed poetic ability combine both of these essential qualifications. Together, they allow a breathtaking new translation that reveals how remarkably current and even invative this text is after 2500 years.
- Author BiographyDavid Hinton's many translations of ancient Chinese poetry have earned wide acclaim for creating compelling English poetry that conveys the actual texture and density of the originals. He has held numerous fellowships from The National Endowment for the Arts and The National Endowment for the Humanities. And in 1997, his work was awarded the Landon Translation Award from the Academy of American Poets. He lives in East Calais, Vermont.
- Author(s)Lao Tzu,Lao zi
- Date of Publication14/12/2001
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight142 g
- Width128 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Translated byDavid Hinton
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.