All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book looks at the way we tax the poor in the United States, particularly in the American South, where poor families are often subject to income taxes, and where regressive sales taxes apply even to food for home consumption. Katherine S. Newman and Rourke L. O'Brien argue that these policies contribute in unrecognized ways to poverty-related problems like obesity, early mortality, the high school dropout rates, teen pregnancy, and crime. They show how, decades before California's passage of Proposition 13, many southern states implemented legislation that makes it almost impossible to raise property or corporate taxes, a pattern w growing in the western states. Taxing the Poor demonstrates how sales taxes intended to replace the missing revenue - taxes that at first glance appear fair - actually punish the poor and exacerbate the very conditions that drove them into poverty in the first place.
- Author BiographyKatherine S. Newman is James B. Knapp Dean of the Arts and Sciences at Johns Hopkins University. Among her many books are Falling From Grace, No Shame in My Game, Rampage and The Missing Class: Portraits of the Near Poor in America. Rourke L. O'Brien is a graduate student in sociology and social policy at Princeton University and a non-resident fellow of the New America Foundation.
- Author(s)Katherine S. Newman,Rourke O'Brien
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication27/02/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleWildavsky Forum Series
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note15 b/w photographs, 31 line illustrations, 27 maps, 25 tables
- Weight49 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.