All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a teacher's guide with lesson plans for a whole semester of ESL for real beginners, including those with low literacy or little prior education. The goal, based on the author's experience, is Make it simple, make it easy, make it low-stress. It models how to teach without using the students' native languages, although much of the author's experience was with Spanish-speaking students. New teachers will learn common basic ESL techniques in the context of each lesson and will see how to introduce concepts to the most basic beginners and put together effective lesson plans for other classes. Some of the material in the 368-page volume can be used for more advanced beginners and low intermediate classes. Buyers of the printed book can use the free Kindle match version to project lesson segments from an ios or Android phone or tablet via the Kindle app. The manual has 80 detailed lesson plans, starting with numbers and ending with polite requests. It includes irregular past verbs and easy helper verbs like can and will. With an additional student textbook for reading and writing practice, the manual should provide material for at least 160 class hours. There are lesson plans for test preparation and substitute days. You can pick and choose from the activities to supplement a required text or to fit your own situation. The manual recommends survival English-based texts for adult education, secondary schools, volunteer classes, immigrant and refugee programs, and students with previous ESL experience. It also describes other books very helpful for new ESL teachers and how to use them. Each plan contains a vocabulary list, an agenda, and a list of materials necessary for the day. Oral routines for listening and speaking practice use classroom objects and easily available materials. Grammar is explained through short rules and simple graphs, with lots of examples and teacher-class interaction. Each lesson plan tes specific pages in the recommended textbooks which reinforce the day's topic with readings, dialogues, pictures, written grammar exercises and extra listening practice. The manual even advises you what t to teach at certain points in the course.
- Author BiographyThe author received a master's degree in TESOL from San Francisco State University and taught in private language schools in Spain and the U.S., adult education, and community colleges as well as teaching ESL for 26 years in Los Angeles public schools.
- Author(s)Ellen Lockwood
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication10/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLanguage Learning: Self Study
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight889 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.