All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionTeacher-educator international professional development involves personal and professional, research- and practice-oriented, and pragmatic and aesthetic growth. This text encourages teacher educators to explore this work as Ren, or benevolent human beings, in cultivating global professional communities. As faculties engage in Ren as a vital 21st century form of development, new insights may emerge for how to revive and apply this concept in our changing global society. This text begins by discussing evolving concepts of achievement in an era of globalization, contrasting comparative conquest with global tions of relational integrity. Evolving aspects of achievement in 21st century China are also included. The text goes on to explore aspects of 21st century teacher quality and professional development, before presenting a theoretical framework for the international professional development of teacher education faculties as a process of becoming professional individuals, research-based practitioners, and aesthetic engineers. Narrative inquiry, including the aesthetic approach employed in this text, is described as the research method used to explore the development of 15 faculty participants in this text's case study of one teacher education research center at a Chinese university. Findings from the author's two-year immersion at the research site involve three overarching complementary contrasts, or tensions held in balance, across the 15 faculties in this study. These tensions included harmonizing (1) community and individuality, (2) adaptability and expression, and (3) authority and compassion. The findings are discussed in light of the original theoretical framework for teacher-educator international professional development by integrating participant interviews, research publications, and further observations into current academic discourse. The text concludes by offering implications for teacher-education practice, research, and policy for China, and other countries including the U.S., and suggests how the findings connect to global academic discourses on teacher-educator professional development across international settings.
- Author BiographyLaura Blythe Liu, Ed.D. is Faculty of Teacher Education with Beijing Normal University's Center for Teacher Education Research, where she previously completed a two-year postdoctoral research position focused on teacher educator international professional development. In additional to international teacher and teacher educator professional development, Laura's current research includes sociocultural narrative inquiry, aesthetic inquiry, international views on diversity and equity, and creative pedagogies for globally inclusive classrooms. Before completing her postdoctoral work, Laura served as adjunct faculty in Literacy Methods with the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education, and in Multicultural and Philosophical Foundations of Education course with the University of San Diego's School of Leadership and Educational Sciences. She completed her doctoral work in with a full scholarship award with The George Washington University's School of Education and Human Development, where her dissertation in Curriculum and Instruction and examined one teacher education faculty's infusion of multicultural education across a program.
- Author(s)Laura Blythe Liu
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication27/05/2015
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleNew Frontiers of Educational Research
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight374 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.