All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIndigeus children, like all children, deserve a future they choose for themselves. This book aims to empower teachers to help halt the cycle of disadvantage for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and make a real difference to their relationships, learning outcomes and opportunities in the short and long term. Based on their many years of experience in teaching and research, the authors provide approaches that have been proven to be effective. There are strategies for developing sensitivity to a student's cultural background, creating a tone in the classroom conducive to learning, building strong teacher-student relationships and effectively managing student behaviour. The authors show how to bridge the demands of the curriculum with the learning Indigeus students bring with them to the classroom and how to work with the learning styles of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. There is a focus on the best approaches for assessment and an exploration of the particular challenges for teachers of students in remote locations. Both practical and inspiring, this is an essential reference for all teachers working with Indigeus students, whether they be in the city or rural areas, in a class of twenty-five or just one student.
- Author BiographyTHELMA PERSO is an honorary fellow with the Menzies School of Health Research. She has over 30 years' experience as both a classroom teacher and in educational positions and has worked extensively in the area of culturally responsive frameworks and pedagogies. PROFESSOR COLLEEN HAYWARD is head of Kurongkurl Katitjin, Edith Cowan University's Centre for Indigenous Education and Research and is Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Equity and Indigenous). She has many years' experience in health, education and training and is a senior Noongar woman with extensive family links throughout the south-west of Western Australia.
- PrizesShortlisted for Australian Award for Excellence in Educational Publishing: Tertiary (Wholly Australian) Single Title 2016.
- Author(s)Colleen Hayward,Thelma Perso
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication27/05/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width176 mm
- Height230 mm
- Interest AgeFrom
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.