All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMuch of the discussion about new techlogies and social equality has focused on the oversimplified tion of a digital divide. Techlogy and Social Inclusion moves beyond the limited view of haves and have-ts to analyze the different forms of access to information and communication techlogies. Drawing on theory from political science, ecomics, sociology, psychology, communications, education, and linguistics, the book examines the ways in which differing access to techlogy contributes to social and ecomic stratification or inclusion. The book takes a global perspective, presenting case studies from developed and developing countries, including Brazil, China, Egypt, India, and the United States. A central premise is that, in today's society, the ability to access, adapt, and create kwledge using information and communication techlogies is critical to social inclusion. This focus on social inclusion shifts the discussion of the digital divide from gaps to be overcome by providing equipment to social development challenges to be addressed through the effective integration of techlogy into communities, institutions, and societies. What is most important is t so much the physical availability of computers and the Internet but rather people's ability to make use of those techlogies to engage in meaningful social practices.
- Author BiographyMark Warschauer is Assistant Professor of Education and of Information and Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine, and founding editor of the journal Language Learning and Technology.
- Author(s)Mark Warschauer
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2004
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note22 illus.
- Weight385 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.