All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner of the 2014 Bonnie Ritter Book Award Winner of the 2013 James W. Carey Media Research Award As unprecedented waves of young, rural women journey to cities in China, t only to work, but also to see the world and gain some automy, they regularly face significant institutional obstacles as well as deep-seated anti-rural prejudices. Based on immersive fieldwork, Cara Wallis provides an intimate portrait of the social, cultural, and ecomic implications of mobile communication for a group of young women engaged in unskilled service work in Beijing, where they live and work for indefinite periods of time. While simultaneously situating her work within the fields of feminist studies, techlogy studies, and communication theory, Wallis explores the way in which the cell phone has been integrated into the transforming social structures and practices of contemporary China, and the ways in which mobile techlogy enables rural young women-a population that has been traditionally marginalized and deemed as backward and other -to participate in and create culture, allowing them to perform a modern, rural-urban identity. In this theoretically rich and empirically grounded analysis, Wallis provides original insight into the co-construction of techlogy and subjectivity as well as the multiple forces that shape contemporary China.
- Author BiographyCara Wallis is Assistant Professor of Communication in the Department of Communication at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Cara Wallis
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication07/01/2013
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCritical Cultural Communication
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Note11 halftones
- Weight454 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $30.75
- AU $21.76Trending at AU $26.80
- AU $29.32Trending at AU $31.85
- AU $70.94Trending at AU $79.91
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.68
- AU $26.39Trending at AU $26.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.