Tejano South Texas: A Mexican American Cultural Province by Daniel D. Arreola (Paperback, 2002)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $42.23Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- Est. delivery by 17 Oct
- AU $25.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWinner, John Brinckerhoff Jackson Prize, Association of American Geographers On the plains between the San Antonio River and the Rio Grande lies the heartland of what is perhaps the largest ethnic region in the United States, Teja South Texas. In this cultural geography, Daniel Arreola charts the many ways in which Texans of Mexican ancestry have established a cultural province in this Texas-Mexico borderland that is unlike any other Mexican American region. Arreola begins by delineating South Texas as an environmental and cultural region. He then explores who the Tejas are, where in Mexico they originated, and how and where they settled historically in South Texas. Moving into the present, he examines many factors that make Teja South Texas distinctive from other Mexican American regions-the physical spaces of ranchos, plazas, barrios, and colonias; the cultural life of the small towns and the cities of San Antonio and Laredo; and the foods, public celebrations, and political attitudes that characterize the region. Arreola's findings thus offer a new appreciation for the great cultural diversity that exists within the Mexican American borderlands.
- Author BiographyDaniel D. Arreola is Professor of Geography and an affiliate faculty member of the Center for Latin American Studies at Arizona State University.
- Author(s)Daniel D. Arreola
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2002
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleJack & Doris Smothers Series in Texas History, Life, and Culture
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note30 photos, 43 maps, 2 graphs, 15 tables
- Weight766 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.