Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $89.27+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.93
About this product
- DescriptionFrom its earliest beginnings, television was destined to become one of the great new forces at work in the twentieth century. This new edition (which includes six completely new chapters) greatly expands the original and unique historical coverage of this most influential cultural phemen. Written by a distinguished international team of specialists, the book describes the history of television from its technical conception in the nineteenth century right through to the bewildering multi-media developments of the present. Alongside this historical account, chapters provide important discussion of the central debates affecting television world-wide, from America, Canada, and Britain to Europe, Scandinavia, Japan, China, South Asia, the Arab world, Australia, Africa, and the Third World. All genres of programme making -news, sport, drama, comedy -are examined in the light of key questions: how viewing practices affect particular societies; how standards of taste and decency are arrived at; the influence of television of government power; the role of public service broadcasting; and the relationship of television to terrorism and violence. A thought-provoking Epilogue ponders the likely impact and influence of television in the coming years. This book is accessibly written and is a major exploration of the world's most dominant medium. QUOTES FROM THE FIRST EDITION 'Those who wish to take a close look at the way television has affected the lives of people in other countries as well as their own will find all the information they need here ...a work which will earn its keep in the reference libraries, but also merits a place on the bookshelves of individuals.' THES 'For those desiring to fully understand the medium that has dominated the later twentieth century.' The Business of Film 'What a terrific assembly of contributors to document an international story of television ...so many outstanding features in this book ...an important addition to documenting the global story of television in a single volume.' Journalism History
- Author BiographyAnthony Smith is President of Magdalen College, Oxford. Richard Paterson is Head of the Information and Education Division at the British Film Institute.
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication30/04/1998
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Notebibliography
- Weight615 g
- Width189 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byAnthony Smith
- Revised byRichard Paterson
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.