All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe ten speeches in this volume illustrate Cicero's entire career and exemplify all the major contexts for his oratory: before the senate, the people, and the courts. They illuminate the major political crises of Cicero's time and offer portraits of many of the major political figures. Several of these speeches also shed light on the most important cultural and literary debates of the late Republic. James Zetzel's general Introduction discusses Cicero's public life; the social, political, and cultural contexts of his speeches; and the challenges of translating them into modern English. This edition also includes an introduction to each speech, a section on Roman institutions and offices, a chrological table, maps, a bibliography, and a biographical index.
- Author BiographyJames Zetzel is Anthon Professor of the Latin Language and Literature in the Classics Department at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Cicero,Marcus Tullius Cicero
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Content Noteb/w maps
- Weight442 g
- Width9 mm
- Height215 mm
- Translated byJames E. G. Zetzel
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.03Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.