All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTen: the new wave presents poetry from some of the most exciting new poets in Britain today. These ten poets were selected for The Complete Works 2 mentoring project, a groundbreaking initiative to promote diversity and quality in British poetry, initiated by the writer Bernardine Evaristo. The poets follow on from the first group to take part in this scheme, whose work was published in Bernardine Evaristo and Daljit Nagra's anthology Ten: new poets from Spread the Word (2010). Most of those poets have gone on to win awards and have their poetry collections published. The new poets in this anthology are Mona Arshi, Jay Bernard, Kayo Chingonyi, Rishi Dastidar, Edward Doegar, Inua Ellams, Sarah Howe, Adam Lowe, Eileen Pun and Warsan Shire. These poets have backgrounds in Asia, Europe, the Caribbean and Africa, and their work draws on their multicultural heritage and tapestry. Many of them also work across art forms and have enjoyed success as playwrights, graphic artists and even in the martial arts. Talented, adventurous and culturally rich, these poets will open up new landscapes for the reader.
- Author BiographyKaren McCarthy Woolf writes poetry, drama and short fiction for print, online, broadcast and live platforms. In 2005 her play Dido, based on the life of a mixed-race girl who grew up in Kenwood House, Hampstead in the 1760s, was broadcast on BBC Radio 4. She was also writer in residence at the Museum of Garden History and literature development agency Spread the Word. Her poetry chapbook The Worshipful Company of Pomegranate Slicers was selected as a New Statesman Book of the Year in 2006. her first full-length collection, An Aviary of Small Birds, is published by Carcanet in 2014. She has taught creative writing for agencies The Photographers' Gallery, City Lit, Southbank Centre, English PEN, the Arvon Foundation and others. In 2010 a selection of her recent poetry was published in Ten: new poets from Spread the Word (Bloodaxe, ed. Bernardine Evaristo and Daljit Nagra), an anthology showcasing the work of ten new poets selected for the The Complete Works development programme, and in 2014 her anthology Ten: the next wave is published by Bloodaxe with the Complete Works. She has also edited two other anthologies, Bittersweet: Black Women's Contemporary Poetry (The Women's Press, 1998) and Kin (Serpent's Tail, 2004). She is an associate editor of Wasafiri, on the editorial board of Magma, and reviews for Modern Poetry in Translation.
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/09/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight227 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byKaren McCarthy Woolf
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.15Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.