All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMore than sixty years ago, McCarthyism silenced Hollywood. In the pages of Tender Comrades, those who were suppressed, whose lives and careers were ruined, finally have their say. A unique collection of profiles in cinematic courage, this extraordinary oral history brings to light the voices of thirty-six blacklist survivors (including two members of the Hollywood Ten), seminal directors of film ir and other genres, starring actresses and memorable supporting players, top screenwriters, and many less kwn to the public, who are rescued from obscurity by the stories they offer here that, beyond politics, open a rich window into moviemaking during the Golden Age of Hollywood.
- Author BiographyPatrick McGilligan has written several acclaimed biographies, including Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light (a finalist for the Edgar Award) as well as New York Times Notable Books about George Cukor and Fritz Lang. His five-volume Backstory series is the definitive oral history of American screenwriting. <p/>Paul Buhle, a retired senior lecturer at Brown University and the founder of the Oral History of the American Left archive at New York University, is the author or editor of more than forty books.
- Author(s)Patrick McGilligan,Paul Buhle
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication26/07/2012
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationMinnesota
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1066 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine51 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.10
- AU $17.61Trending at AU $22.61
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.15
- AU $43.37Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.73
- AU $11.00Trending at AU $14.90
- AU $17.85Trending at AU $25.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.