All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial networking has grown into a staple of modern society, but its continued evolution is becoming increasingly detrimental to our lives. Shifts in communication and privacy are affecting us more than we realize or understand.Terms of Servicecrystalizes this current moment in techlogy and contemplates its implications: the identity-validating pleasures and perils of online visibility; our newly adopted view of daily life through the lens of what is share-worthy; and the surveillance state operated by social media platforms Facebook, Google, Twitter, and others to mine our personal data for advertising revenue, an invasion of our lives that is as pervasive as government spying.Jacob Silverman calls for social media users to take back ownership of their digital selves from the Silicon Valley corporations who claim to kw what's best for them. Integrating politics, sociology, national security, pop culture, and techlogy, he reveals the surprising conformity at the heart of Internet culture explaining how social media companies engineer their products to encourage shallow engagement and discourage dissent. Reflecting on the collapsed barriers between our private and public lives, Silverman brings into focus the inner conflict we feel when deciding what to share and what to like, and explains how we can take the steps we need to free ourselves from its grip.
- Author(s)Jacob Silverman
- Date of Publication17/03/2015
- SubjectComputing: Consumer Books ('Technical Trade')
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight635 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.