All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionIn China, a widespread learning practice for foreign languages are reading, reciting and memorising texts. This book investigates this practice against a background of Confucian heritage learning and western attitudes towards memorising, particularly audio-lingual approaches to language teaching and later largely negative attitudes. The author conceptually examines a number of issues central to the understanding of the practice of text memorisation in the Chinese educational context. Furthermore, there is an empirical inquiry into Chinese learners/teachers' practices and perceptions of the inclusion of text memorisation in foreign language learning and teaching. Drawing on heuristics yielded by both theoretical and empirical findings, this study promotes a 'different-rather-than-deficit' perspective in understanding Chinese learners and their learning practice by way of challenging the uncritical assumptions about the negative impact of a Confucian philosophy of education. More importantly, the topic and theme discussed in this book are timely and relevant to some long and widely debated issues in foreign language teaching and learning within China and internationally.
- Author BiographyXia Yu received her PhD at the University of Southampton and is currently employed as Senior Lecturer at Foreign Language School, Southwest University of Political Science and Law, People's Republic of China. Her research interests include educational linguistics, second language acquisition and foreign/second language teaching. She has published a number of studies in her areas of expertise, which have appeared in scholarly publications in China, Europe and North America.
- Author(s)Xia Yu
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication30/03/2012
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.