All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionThe 11th North Carolina Infantry in the Civil War is the unforgettable story of civilian-soldiers and their families during the American Civil War. This narrative follows a regiment of Carolinians from their mustering-in ceremony in 1861, to the war's final moments of surrender at Appomattox. A multitude of Tar Heels tell their stories through the use of over 1,500 quotes, enabling us to hear what they saw, experienced, and felt. The 11th North Carolina Infantry in the Civil War tracks these Carolinians and follows them as they changed from exhilarated volunteers to battle-hardened veterans. They eagerly rushed to join the Bethel Regiment with exuberance for battle, summed up by their colonel, who shouted at the Yankees, You dogs, you missed me! Later, once the grim realities set in, the Tar Heels stood solidly beside their comrades. One rifleman expressed this shared sentiment, writing; Open ground and enemy works, it made the men quiet, but they did t flinch. Eventually though, as the war took its horrible toll, a weary veteran wrote, I wonder--when and if I return home--will I be able to fit in? The 11th North Carolina Infantry in the Civil War is an intensely personal account based upon the Carolinians' letters, journals, memoirs, official reports, personnel records, and family histories. It is a powerful account of courage and sacrifice.
- Author BiographyWilliam Thomas Venner has researched and written widely about the Civil War. He has published articles for Civil War Times Illustrated, Journal of Field Archaeology, and America's Civil War. A retired teacher of history and archaeology in schools and at the college level, he lives in Huntersville, North Carolina, USA.
- Author(s)William Thomas Venner
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note66 photographs
- Weight635 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.