Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $72.43
- AU $86.86Trending at AU $98.06
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $82.56
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.32
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.48
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $11.47Trending at AU $14.15
About this product
- DescriptionThe Roman Catholic Russian ancestors of Aunt Irene, the central character in Alice Thomas Ellis's new vel, were persecuted and forced to flee to the Ukraine, Lithuania, Austria or as the story-tellers would have it, across 27 lands and 30 countries until they came to the 27th Kingdom. For the good, kind and infinitely friendly Aunt Irene, her handsome but wicked nephew, Kyril, and Focus, a cat of alarming intelligence, this is Dancing Master House, a minute dwelling in the Chelsea. Two gossips, Mrs. O'Conr and Mrs. Mason, one dead common with criminal connections, the other an impoverished lady of the upper classes, clean for and take care of the needs of Aunt Irene and Kyril. From Wales, Irene's sister, the Mother Superior, sends Valentine, a beautiful, young West Indian postulant, ostensibly to test her vocation but really because of the embarrassing discovery that Valentine has miraculous powers. The story runs between angels and demons in a style which epitomizes the refreshing eccentricities of English humor.
- Author BiographyAlice Thomas Ellis was been short-listed for the Booker prize for this novel. She is the author of A Welsh Childhood (autobiography), Fairy Tales and several other novels including The Summerhouse Trilogy, made into a movie starring Jeanne Moreau and Joan Plowright.
- Author(s)Alice Thomas Ellis
- PublisherMoyer Bell Ltd ,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationWakefield
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMoyer Bell Ltd ,U.S.
- Weight244 g
- Width139 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.