All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
About this product
- DescriptionThe long voyages of discovery and exploration of the vast Pacific Ocean were an exercise in logistics, navigation, hard grit, shipwreck and pure luck. The motivations were scientific and geographic, but at the same time nationalistic and materialistic. This ambitious and informative reference includes the familiar names of Laperouse, Bougainville, Cook and Dampier, as well as the intriguing stories of the Bounty Mutiny, scurvy, and the mysterious Northwest Passage, Terra Australis Igtia and Davis Land. There are cross-referenced entries on first contacts, ships, navigational instruments, mapping, and botany. The scene is carefully set in the introduction, the chrology spans several centuries, and the extensive bibliography offers a guide to further reading.
- Author BiographyMax Quanchi teaches Pacific History at Queensland University of Technology and has written extensively on the history of the Pacific Islands. John Robson is the Map Librarian at the University of Waikato in Hamilton, president of the New Zealand Map Society, and New Zealand representative for the Hakluyt Society.
- Author(s)John Robson,Max Quanchi
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication16/07/2009
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe A to Z Guide Series
- Series Part/Volume Number47
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight517 g
- Width145 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.