All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $105.99Trending at AU $107.61
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.04
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is a religious or spiritual delusion? What does religious delusion reveal about the difference between good and bad spirituality? What is the connection between religious delusion and moral failure? Or between religious delusion and religious terrorism? Or religious delusion and despair? The Abraham Dilemma: A Divine Delusion is the first book written by a philosopher on the topic of religious delusion - on the disorder's causes, contents, consequences, diagsis and treatment. The book argues that we cant understand a religious delusion without appreciating three facts. One is that religiosity or spirituality is a part of human nature, whether it takes theistic or n-theistic forms. Ather is that religious delusion is something to which we are all vulnerable. The third is that the delusion is t best understood by reducing it to brain chemistry, or by insisting that it is empirically false. It is best understood by examining its harmful personal and moral consequences - consequences that nearly unfolded when the biblical patriarch Abraham prepared to sacrifice his son Isaac in response to a command, he thought, from God. The book presents a fascinating and profound exploration of a phemen as old as mankind itself.
- Author BiographyBorn in Brooklyn, New York; educated in New York City, Canada, and Boston. Served on faculties of Alabama-Birmingham and Wake Forest University. Currently on faculty of Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia. Produced or helped to produce more than 12 books. Former President of the Society for Philosophy and Psychology. Winner of numerous fellowships and teaching awards. Specializes in philosophy of mind and mental illness.
- Author(s)George Graham
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- Series TitleInternational Perspectives in Philosophy & Psychiatry
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight454 g
- Width171 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.