All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $35.05
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the academic study of religion in the former Soviet Union had to contend with an official ideology of scientific atheism, such study in the West - particularly in the United States - was being (re)invented in the 1960s, during the very midst of the Cold War. The twenty-one contributions to this volume - by scholars from North America, Europe, Russia, and eastern Europe - examine the ideological and theological influences on the academic study of religion during the period from 1945 to 1989 and thus raise the question of whether an academic study of religion (Religionswissenschaft) might be defined in ways that avoid the extremes of both ideology and theology.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Iva Dolezalova is Assistant Professor of Religion at Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic. She deals with theory of myth and ritual and the history of religions, especially early Christianity. In addition to articles in professional journals, she has edited the volume Religions in Contact (1996) with B. Horyna and D. Papousek. Luther H. Martin is Professor of Religion and former Chair of the department at the University of Vermont. He is the author of Hellenistic Religions (1987) and of numerous articles on that subject. In addition, he writes on theory and method in the study of religion and has edited several volumes in this area. Dalibor Papousek is Assistant Professor of Religion and Head of the Institute for the Study of Religions at Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic. He focuses on the comparative study of ancient religions, especially during the Hellenistic period. In addition to articles in professional journals, he edited the volumes The Bible in Cultural Contact (1994) with H. Pavlincova and Religions in Contact (1996) with I. Dolezalova and B. Horyna.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleToronto Studies in Religion
- Series Part/Volume Number27
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight620 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edited byDalibor Papousek,Iva Dolezalova,Luther H. Martin
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.